We wore the watches for several days to better evaluate their design and day-to-day comfort. We also evaluated the screen quality by looking through the watch. This allowed us to analyze the handling, responsiveness and intuitiveness of the application. We therefore focused on features such as GPS, different sensors and accessories. For autonomy, we decided to alternate periods of inactivity and more active times with the activation or deactivation of some measures.
The selection of the 4 best vacuum cleaners to choose from in 2023
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5: the most complete
With a sporty, yet versatile and comfortable design, it remains in the same line as its previous version with still a circular AMOLED screen. During our testing, we found its interface smooth and fast with a powerful processor and Wear OS 3.5 software. As for the functions, it is in our opinion quite complete thanks to its various sensors. However, some features remain unique to Samsung and it is only compatible with Android devices. The autonomy is also lower than advertised, but the recharge is fast.
- Good interface
- Efficient sensors
- Only compatible with Samsung
- Runtime lower than advertised
Xiaomi Mi Watch: the best value for money
This Xiaomi watch is a great solution for people who don’t want to break the bank. We appreciated its screen and fluid interface, practical to use on a daily basis. It has many functions such as, for example, reading your blood oxygen saturation or energy consumption of your body. However, its size is relatively impressive and, in our opinion, the accuracy of its sensors is insufficient for great athletes.
- Its price
- His characteristics
- His size
- Not enough skills for great athletes
Apple Watch Series 8: the best features
This 8 series is available in different sizes. Its OLED display is flawless, and the WatchOS 9 operating system is even smoother. Incorporates specific applications regarding fitness and health. It has features like temperature sensing and car crash detection. However, battery life is disappointing with a day’s use, and some apps are only compatible with iOS devices.
- Its ergonomics
- Its applications and features
- Its autonomy
- Compatible with iOS only
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro: the best autonomy
Sturdy and durable, we still found it too heavy and bulky. The D-ring bracelet is perfectly secure and during our test we appreciated its splendid screen quality, its powerful Wear OS 3.5 software with its range of applications. For health it is generally complete and compared to the classic version it includes interesting GPS options. As with the other version, some features are unique to Samsung devices and it is only compatible with Android. Its autonomy can reach up to 80 hours.
- Its autonomy
- Comprehensive apps
- Its weight
- Compatible with Android only
Other models tested
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 : It has excellent characteristics and has nothing to envy to its older sister. However, her autonomy is disappointing.
- Garmin Venu 2S : Comfortable and light, it stands out for its multiple functions. She is a real sports coach. However, getting started is tricky.
- Apple Watch SE (2022) : With 2 face sizes and a still Apple-worthy screen, this SE has some interesting features. However, the display is not permanent, there is no electrocardiogram and the battery is disappointing, however, all compatible only on the iPhone.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch active 2 : Compact and light, it is intended more for athletes. Our tests have shown that it performs as well as the “regular” Galaxy Watch while being more specialized.
- Huawei Watch 3 : Its screen and functions are powerful. But its autonomy and lacks some options.
- Google PixelWatch : Screen quality and design are nice, but the processor is aging and battery life is mediocre. Also, the merger between FitBit and Google is not finalized yet.
5 key criteria for choosing the right connected watch
According to our product experts, here are the key criteria to consider when choosing the right connected watch.
The different systems
- Wear OS: developed by Google, it is compatible with Android and iOS (without some features). A little less fluid than its competitors but has the best application catalog
- Tizen OS: Samsung system, it is very fluid and intuitive but still limited
- Watch OS: fluid and intuitive, it remains intended only for iOS users
Ergonomics and design
- Pay attention to the quality of the screen for better readability
- Sporty designs are generally more compact and discreet
- Make sure you choose a watch face that fits your wrist
- Depending on your needs, choose the appropriate materials
- There are dust and water resistant watches (IP measurement)
- Choose Gorilla Glass coatings to avoid scratches
The essential features
- Your watch should provide you with essential options, especially for fitness
- The 3 main functions are heart rate monitor, pedometer and sleep analysis
- Other functions are the management of notifications, music and calls
- Some factors can affect the autonomy of the watch (GPS, mobile data)
- The average value for the best watches is 3-4 days of autonomy
Content offered by our advice experts, partners of 20 Minutes. The editorial staff did not participate in its production. The prices indicated in this article are indicative and may vary.
Some links in this article are affiliate links, which may use tracers to allow 20 Minutes to receive a commission in case of a purchase on the partner site.